The placenta is the organ that surrounds baby in utero that allows nutrients to pass through, thermo-regulation, eliminate waste, and gas exchange via the mother’s blood supply. The practice of consuming the placenta is centuries old and is most often practiced in Chinese medicine.
What is Placenta Encapsulation?
Placental encapsulation is the practice of ingesting the placenta after it has been steamed, dehydrated, ground, and placed into pills.
What are the Benefits?
- Restoration of iron levels in the blood
- Increase in milk production
- Increased energy
- Increased release of the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to normal size and encourages bonding with the infant
- Increase in CRH, a stress-reducing hormone
- Decrease in postpartum depression levels
Different Ways To Consume Placenta
- TCM- Traditional Chinese Method; most common
- RFM- Raw Foods Method
- Put in smoothie