Preparing for a home birth can get a little crazy and may be overwhelming. You can get a list from your Midwife on what you’ll need, but there are other things that you may consider getting as well!
Usually this is what your Midwife’s list will look like
For the Bed
- 2 sets of sheets
- plastic sheet (fitted or plastic shower curtain)
- pillows (can be covered with plastic liners)
Instructions For Making the Bed
- Make the bed with one set of sheets.
- Next, put the plastic sheet on the bed.
- Put the second set of sheets on (for birth).
For the Birth:
- 3 towels
- 4 washcloths (for warm compresses to prevent tearing)
- 8 receiving blankets – these will get messy!
- 2 baby hats
- 1 package of 18 disposable underpads (aka chux pads or doggy peepee pads)
- 1 small unopened bottle of olive oil
- flashlight with batteries
- unopened tube of KY jelly
- crockpot with fresh ginger root (for warm compresses to prevent tearing)
- heating pad/hot water bottle
- deep bowl for placenta
- 4 thick black garbage bags
- bendable straws
- 1 roll each of paper towels and toilet paper
- oil or lotion for massage
- hair ties
- water bottle
- gatorade or other sports drink
- gallon size Ziploc bags
For After the Birth:
- maternity pads and/or adult diapers
- plastic squeeze bottle (peri bottle)
- pre-soak stain remover
- laundry detergent
- juice, high -protein meal
Plan to have some help in the house for two weeks, including help with housework and meals.
For the Baby:
- a supply of onesies, gowns, sleepers, etc.
- receiving blankets
MY Supply List: (added with the Midwife’s)
- birthing ball (blown up to full capacity)
- peanut ball
- phone & phone charger
- comfortable maternity bra
For a Waterbirth:
- La Bassine Professional Birth Pool
- extra towels
- flannel backed tablecloth to put under the pool (flannel side up so there is a non-slippery place to stand when getting out)
- make sure my hot water heater is working appropriately
- large pots to boil water in just in case it doesn’t work appropriately
- Nursing pillow
- peri bottle
- Extra-long maternity pads
- Tucks pads
- Sitz bath
- Depends adult diapers (take place of mesh panties)
- Comfortable nursing clothes